Thursday, January 5, 2012

Yarn Blocks

I am going to go off on small tangent
I went to school for 4 years, and complained for 4 years
about the fact that we could never do fun projects with the kids!
By "fun" I meant the cute ones that the teachers do most of the work!
fun??
well college was over and started my first preschool teaching job
(a place I will NEVER forgot and learned soooo much!)
20 kids, NO TIME for "fun" projects!
and then my college education kicked in saying 
kids aren't having fun when you do all the work!
Kids are having fun when they do all the work!
Then comes starting my own daycare!
we did a few things here and there but nothing much!
Then this summer it hit me!
I NEED to do more!  
I NEED to teach these kids!!
and that is when the blog started! and we have been super busy!!
having FUN!  and learning!!
Where am I going with this (i don't really know)
but,
During the months of November and December 
we were doing a LOT of  
"teacher made projects"
I do all the work, I cut the pieces, 
I glue things together
ME, ME, ME
it was cute! the parents loved it, but it wasn't as much fun
Don't get me wrong the kids love doing anything!
But it was becoming
"Hey come here I need to trace your hand!"
PROJECT OVER!
WHAT?!?
I was forgetting to let the kids do what they wanted
not because I found this cute idea on pinterest!
don't get me wrong we will still continue to do these cute projects every now and then
but I need to get back to letting the kids do the work, 
NOT ME!!!

all week I have just given the kids the materials and they got busy!
I love their little creations!
Sometimes I cringe and think...ahhhh that is NOT what I wanted you to do!!!
but that is what THEY  wanted to do!!
and its THEIR project so they get to control it!

Today was that day!
I took a few minutes to wrap blocks in yarn



In my mind the kids were going to stamp with the yarn blocks
and make pretty patterns!
YA RIGHT!
They smeared and mixed colors one paper after another
I even heard, 
"YOU ARE MAKING BROWN!!!!"
There was soooo much mixing and smearing going on brown was being created!!!
and then I took a step back sat on a chair and thought
this isn't what I had in mind but they are
happy, laughing, mixing, creating, counting (how many stamps before they needed more paint) smearing the paint in different directions, it was a mess!  but it wasn't about me it was about them!




Don't get me wrong!  I still love doing the cute crafts and plan on doing one tomorrow!
but remember to think of what the child wants!  Not what we want!

Linking up with Mingle with Us and TGIF Linky Party #11 and Toys in the Dryer

Also linking up with Sharing Saturday!


10 comments:

  1. Jill, you're awesome! I love how you make each day a learning experience for those kids. They are all so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new gfc follower from the mingle with us hop. I'd love if you'd stop by my blog too. Have a great day!

    Lisa
    http://frugalmommieof2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun is that!!! It's so awesome to see them explore, imagine, play, and enjoy and at the same time learning :)

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its great you let the kids do what they want to do - sure parents like cute projects (I do too) but surely they want some art work done by their own child. Love the yarn block idea - think I will try it with my own daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. Preschool art is about the kids explorations. I love the book "First Art" by MaryAnn Kohl. She calls them "art experiences" instead of crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've already commented earlier and just think that is such a fun activity :) Would love to invite you to link this post or any kid-related post that you have to Sharing Saturday

    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com/2012/01/sharing-saturday-am-thrilled-to-be.html

    Have a Happy Day
    ~MiaB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute!! What a FUN idea!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great weekend,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea! So easy and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! And I so agree with letting the children do the work...I sometimes will present the "Art Creation" with the childen at Circle Time or I use the item in a fun story..but I still appreciate what the children do themselves. Our job as teachers is to EDUCATE the parents on creativity....Have a blessed day..Ms.Diana ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great activity and an important thing for us to remember--let the kids do the work. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete