Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I STINK!

"I Stink" is the book that we have been reading all week and often since its a very favorite of ours! 
I love the book because it is funny, uses new and different words, and has an alphabet "rap" in it! and its just cute!
While reading a blog post with a super cute idea I kinda made my own version of it!
In that blog post the blogger made a monster, but for our project to go along with our book we made a garbage truck!
The garbage truck is hungry all the time and LOVES to eat names and the alphabet!
Here are a few pics of our garbage truck in the making and the after look:
I used a klennex box, wrapped it in black paper

It doesn't look that great since I am using tape as my reinforcments but it will do the job!

add some eyes and some things on the top to give it a truck/ears look :)

We also decided it needed wheels so on the side i cut out cirlces and added the wheels!  The kids were disappointed they didn't spin so i might have to uprade him and get some reinforcements to make his wheels spin!  :)  The things we do for kids!
Very simple and easy to make and the kids just love our garbage truck!

We then played a few games with it,  I wrote all the names down of the kids and then the kids would have to find the names of the kids I called out and feed it to the garbage truck!


FEED ME!  STRAIGHT INTO MY HOOPER!
(when you say that as the kids are putting in the names it makes the game all that much more exciting!)

CRUSH THEM, MASH THEM, SMASH THEM!!

this was a GREAT way for the kids to recognize their names and the names of their freinds!
They LOVED the game and got super excited when the kids would "feed" the garbage truck their names! 
We also played another game feeding the garbage truck all the letters of the alphabet!  I put a sticker on a milk lidS and then the kids would have to find the letters and feed them to the garbage truck!  A very simple but a fun game! 
Also to go along with the book we have been painting with "trash" Check out this post and this post.

I also linked up with Show and Tell #76

This is just a fun way for the kids to learn their alphabet and start some reading! 
What are some fun things you do to help children learn their alphabet or start reading familiar words!

6 comments:

  1. Fun! I want to come play at your daycare! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love I Stink, what a great idea! What did you use for the box?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I love the feeding of names and letters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to reuse a box! I love that he works with words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is waaaay cute!! We too love this book! I am your newest follower! I'd love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-) I also wanted to invite you to come link up at TGIF Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties

    ReplyDelete